July 8, 2016 - Between teaching careers I took a break and worked in sales. I eased back into education permanently by revisiting the classroom through substituting. Having had enough experience in teaching before I left for a decade, I knew all about the role of "substitute teacher" - no respect. In high school the students have figured out that - and usually correct - you have no background in education and will just be a babysitter for the day. Their mentality is "How much can we get away with?"
But since I did have 4 years previously in the classroom, I was thinking what they were thinking and decided to beat them at their own game.
In the early 1990's students' parents had to sign a waiver if an image of their child could be used in any media - school calendars which had pictures of the students in the county schools highlighting various activities, newspaper stories of school events and students' awards, and any kind of video recordings that might be used in the media. Some parents signed the waiver, others did not.
But nothing was said of audio recordings. So, every middle or high school I walked into that morning to "babysit", I first stopped by the media center, asked for a tape recorder and blank tape, walked confidently into the classroom with both, and set the recorder at the front of the classroom for all eyes to see. When the bell rang to begin the class period, before I took roll, I proceeded to tell them the reason for the recording device. I was going to audio tape their voices and behavior in the classroom and give it to their teacher along with my notes about this particular class. I would place my notes and the tape in her teacher box so she would have it immediately when she checked for an update of how things went the day she was absent.
After that announcement, IN FRONT OF THE ENTIRE CLASS, I pushed the RECORD/PLAY button at the same time to begin the recording. I pushed the buttons with grandeur to dramatize the moment so they were aware that their behavior was being monitored starting at that moment. Everything was transparent
And, believe me, it worked. Sometimes when the class was a little rowdy and I had to call down a student or two, first - their voices could be heard on tape, and second - I'd mention, "Abigail, Abigail? You need to settle down a bit." (Notice I said "ABIGAIL" and not "JOHNNY". I am so tired of Johnny's name being overused as the misbehaved child....plus also using a boy as the representative wild student.
Once, the recorded behavior that I used enhanced a case about a student who was disruptive with his REAL teacher.
I tell mothers today about how they can whip (hopefully) their children into line immediately at home or even more importantly - IN PUBLIC!!!!!!!!!!!
I wish I could have taken my own advice. My boys are 30 and 22 respectively. In those 8 years there were inventions that did improve my mothering capabilities from the oldest to the youngest. But what I needed most hadn't been invented yet...the photo options of the cell phone.
Why did I need this phone function and what do I tell mothers today about WHY they should administer this video recording on their own children? Because when children, like my own did at times, start acting out - record it. Then there really is no discussion when you disagree over the behavior you wanted changed. The child ( I think you could do this step even as young as 3? ) sees his/her action that you wanted thwarted and instead of " intentionally not remembering" or "really not remembering", the incident is captured to hone in on the behavior you want improved.
You're welcome.
No comments:
Post a Comment